How to Care for Your Eyelash Extensions: Dos and Don’ts
Eyelash extensions require proper care and attention to keep them in top condition. Here are some things you should do to care for your extensions:
- Be careful. When it comes to caring for eyelash extensions, it’s important to be careful. Avoid pulling or rubbing your lashes, as this could damage them or cause them to fall out too soon. Use a gentle cotton pad and a light eye makeup remover to remove your makeup. Never apply mascara or other oil-based products to your eyelash extensions, as they can weaken the adhesive and cause the lashes to fall out.
- Keep them clean. When it comes to eyelash extensions, cleanliness is key. Wash them with a mild cleanser to make sure they stay clean. To clean your lashes, you can use lash shampoo or mild baby shampoo diluted with water. Apply the cleanser to your lashes and gently massage them with a fresh spoolie brush. After rinsing them thoroughly, dry them with a soft cloth.
- Brush them regularly. To keep your eyelash extensions looking neat and beautiful, brush them regularly. Comb your lashes daily, especially in the morning and before bed, with a clean spoolie brush. Also, brushing your eyelashes will prevent them from tangling and clumping.
The Don’ts of Eyelash Extension Maintenance
When it comes to taking care of eyelash extensions, it is equally important to know what you should and should not do. Here are some things you should stay away from:
- Do not use oil-based products. Oil-based products are a big no-no when it comes to eyelash extensions. They can attack the glue and cause the lashes to fall out prematurely. Avoid using oil-based makeup removers, cleansers, and moisturisers on your lashes. Instead, opt for water-based or oil-free products.
- Do not rub your eyes. Rubbing your eyes is a common habit that you should break if you have eyelash extensions. The friction caused by rubbing can cause your eyelashes to fall out or become damaged. If you have an itchy eye, gently scratch the area with a clean spoolie brush.
- Do not sleep on your face. Sleeping on your face can cause your lash extensions to get tangled and damaged. Make sure you sleep on your back or side to avoid pressure on your lashes. You can also use a silk pillowcase to reduce friction and keep your lashes beautiful.
Common mistakes you should avoid
There are some common mistakes that many women make when it comes to eyelash extension care. Here are some of the most common mistakes you should avoid:
- Overuse of mascara: Mascara is not necessary when you have eyelash extensions. In fact, using mascara can cause your lashes to clump and become damaged. If you must use mascara, you should use a water-based formula and apply it only to the tips of your lashes.
- Use waterproof makeup. Waterproof makeup is difficult to remove and can damage your lashes. Avoid using waterproof mascara, eyeliner, or eye shadow on your extensions. Instead, use waterproof or smudge-proof formulas.
- Omit fillers: Eyelash extensions need to be topped up regularly to maintain their fullness and volume. If you skip the top-ups, the lashes may become sparse and uneven. Be sure to do the top-ups every 2-3 weeks to keep your lashes looking their best.
Products for the care of eyelash extensions
Using the right products is important when it comes to eyelash extension care. Here are some products you should consider using:
- Eyelash shampoo: An eyelash shampoo is a gentle cleanser designed specifically for eyelash extensions. It helps keep lashes clean and free of impurities.
- Spoolie brush: A spoolie brush is an essential tool for maintaining lash extensions. It helps keep lashes clean and tidy and prevents tangling and clumping.
- Oil-free makeup remover: An oil-free makeup remover is important to remove makeup without damaging lashes. Look for a formula that is gentle and specifically designed for eyelash extensions.
How Often Should You Get Your Eyelash Extensions Filled?
Eyelash extensions need to be topped up every 2–3 weeks to maintain their fullness and volume. Make sure you schedule the refills in advance to avoid gaps or unevenness in your lashes.
How to properly clean your eyelash extensions
Cleaning your eyelash extensions is important to keep them looking their best. Here you will learn how to clean them properly:
- Moisten your eyelashes with water.
- Put a small amount of eyelash shampoo on a clean spoolie brush.
- Gently massage the shampoo into your lashes with the spoolie brush.
- Rinse your lashes with water.
- Pat your lashes dry with a soft towel.
Maintenance tips for the care of eyelash extensions
Here are some additional tips to help you care for your eyelash extensions:
- Avoid hot showers and saunas. Excessive heat and steam can cause eyelashes to become loose and fall out. Avoid hot showers, saunas, and steam baths for at least 48 hours after your eyelash treatment.
- Be careful when using skin-care products. When using skin care products, be careful not to get them on your lashes. Some skin care products contain ingredients that can attack the adhesive and cause lashes to fall out.
- Protect your eyelashes from the sun. UV rays can cause eyelashes to become brittle and damaged. Wear sunglasses or a hat when you are in the sun to protect your lashes.
How to Remove Your Eyelash Extensions
If you want to remove your eyelash extensions, it is best to have them removed by a professional. If you try to remove them yourself, you may damage your natural eyelashes. Your technician will use a special solution to dissolve the adhesive and carefully remove the extensions.
If you have recently taken an eyelash extension training course or lash courses, you surely know how important it is to take good care of your eyelashes. In summary, taking care of your eyelash extensions requires careful handling. You can keep your lashes flawless for weeks if you stick to the dos and don’ts of care, avoid common mistakes, and use the right products. Remember to go slow and treat your lashes gently to keep them in place for as long as possible, whether you are an eyelash technician or a client who has taken eyelash extension training or class. So show off your beautiful eyelashes to enhance your look.